SUTTON BY DOVER PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of a meeting in Studdal Church Hall on Tuesday 7th June
at 7.30 pm.
1. Present and apologies for absence:
Parish Councillors: Simon Butcher (Chairman)
Graeme Akhurst (Vice-chairman)
Kent County Councillor: Steve Manion
Dover District Councillor: Nick Kenton
Parish Clerk: Veronica Harrop
Apologies for absence: None
Members of the public: Carolyn Clews, Barbara & Ray Odell, Chris Richardson,
Sarah Doolin, Steve Manion and Nick Kenton.
2 Approval of the minutes of the last meeting (10th May 2011): Ron proposed, seconded
by Simon and all approved.
3. Declarations of interest: Graham Smith declared an interest in item No. 11.
4. Visitors: Ray said that he had had to water the new tree in the Memorial Garden
several times due to the dry weather. Simon spoke about the ‘Coal Field
Regeneration Trust’ to which some organizations are able to apply for funding. He
has passed this information on to the Sutton Community Hall committee in the hope
that it will be of financial help to them. The regenerating of the play area in Studdal
Playing field was mentioned by Simon who inferred that a sub-committee was needed
to locate funding for this project. This will be discussed at the next Parish meeting.
Nick Kenton said that a new waste development site could be built on the old Astra
fireworks factory site at Richbourgh and a new cylinder incinerator waste energy
plant built on the old power station ground. He said that rural village’s ‘site
allocation’ conclusive documents would be finalized early in 2012 when the
information has been complied.
5. SDPC annual accounts: These were signed for by the Chairman, Simon Butcher.
6. Vfast money: It was decided to contact Vfast about the use of money left in the
7. Employers insurance: A quote of £567.51 was given by Aon for employers and
playing field insurance. It was decide to insure with Aon and was proposed by Hugh,
seconded by Ron and all councillors agreed.
8. Payment for Susan Smith: Graham Smith left the hall as he has prejudicial interest.
It was decided to pay Susan for the work she did on the annual accounts. 12 hours
@ £8.50 per hr. =£102. Simon proposed, Hugh seconded and all agreed.
Graham Smith returned to the meeting.
9. A3 copier: to be put on July Agenda.
10. Clerks KALC conference 15th July at Lenham: It was agreed that the clerk could
attend the KALC conference. Ron proposed, seconded by Hugh and all agree.
11.Finance: Clerks wages 236.93
KALC con. 72.00
Evergreen 45.00 (repair of PC notice board)
Evergreen 341.25 (grass cutting at Jacks Bush)
Evergreen 180.00 (repair & painting of Mr Seaths seat)
Aon ins. 567.51 (employers insurance)
Susan Smith 102.00 (work on PC accounts)
Ron proposed, Hugh seconded and all agreed to cheques being signed.
Ron and Hugh signed the cheques.
12. Allotments, Memorial Gds. Playing field and BMX track:
There has been an enquiry as to whether a parishioner would be able to shoot rabbits
on the allotment site. To be put on July Agenda.
Ron would like to spread ‘wild flower seed’ at the top of the allotment.
The Nicholas Gough Memorial seat on the corner of Downs Close is to be repaired
by Evergreen after a Tender of £195 was given. Ron proposed, Hugh seconded and
Simon did the BMX track check for May.
13. Any other business/matters to report:
The Planning Enforcement officer to be contacted on update of ‘Warcott Lodge’,
14. Date of next meeting: 5th July 2011 – meeting finished at 8.40 pm.