February 2013 minutes

SUTTON BY DOVER PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the meeting held in Studdal Church Hall on Tuesday 5th February 2013

at 7.30pm.

1. Present and apologies for absence:

Simon Butcher (Chairman)

Graeme Akhurst (Vice-chairman)

Carolyn Clews

Sarah Doolin

Hugh Densham

Ron Little

Graham Smith

Kent County Councillor: Steve Manion

Dover District Councillor: Nick Kenton

Apologies for absence: Parish Clerk: Veronica Harrop

Members of the public: Mrs C. Richardson, Mrs P. Burton, Mr D. Vickers and Mr

C. Hogben.

2. Approval of the minutes of the last meeting: Ron proposed, Caroline seconded and

all Councillors approve the resolution to accept the minutes of the last meeting

subject to an amendment requested by Caroline to expand the paragraph in which it

was said that the Clerk would contact Kent Highways to progress the filling in of

potholes. Caroline whished the record to reflect that Councillor Manion had

indicated that there was a proposed potholing repair visit set for some time in

February and that Tony Jenson be contacted with a list of the potholes that needed

actioning and which list the Councillors had contributed to during the course of the

meeting.

3. Declarations of interest: None.

4. Matters arising: Graeme said that a communication from the planning department

at DDC had clarified the issue regarding installation of solar panels in a

Conservation Area. Whilst there were more restrictions than in a non-Conservation

Area it was still possible in principle to install such panels without planning

permission. Secondly Graeme had approached the owner of the red van regularly

parked at the bottom of Church Hill. The person concerned had said that he would

be able to the van in his drive again once he had installed a lintel to prevent

the newly laid shingle bed from spilling onto the road, once the shingle had settled

and once he had removed the 20 or so bags of rubble from his drive (more difficult

since he was no longer allowed to drive his van into the waste sites at Deal or

Whitfield). Hugh asked if there had been an answer from DDC planning

department about the rules regarding the use of advertising on trailers in fields.

This element is to go on to the next agenda as it is not clear if the Clerk has receive a

response on this.

5. Visitors: Mrs Richardson asked about the PCSO and his continued absence from

Council meetings. It was decided to ask the Clerk to write to Anne Barnes the

New Kent Police Commissioner to ask if she could put pressure on the PCSO to

attend a meeting of the Council. Mr Hogben mentioned that if rubble removal

was required (see matters arising) then it could be taken in any vehicle to

Ovendens in Tilmanstone for no charge. There was a discussion about the misuse

of a footpath between Roman Road and Strakers Hill by bikes and horses.

Councillor Manion suggested that this was another matter to be raised with the

PCSO and also the Community Warden Bob Priestly. Ron then asked Councillor

Manion about litter pick-up on the A256 which morphed into a discussion about

the amount of Macdonalds related litter around the Parish. Ron accepted to ask

Macdonalds if they would consider printing the registration numbers of their

drive through customers on receipts in order to identify litterers. Councillor

Kenton reported that the signing of the dog fouling and litter “policing” contract

with X4 had been deferred possibly permanently due to issues relating to frequent

name changes. In its stead PCSO’s, Parking attendants, planning officers and

members of the public were being asked to be vigilant on the topic and report

incidents where possible. Councillor Manion talked about dementia stating that a

recent report had found Thanet to be the 2nd worst in the country for managing

Dementia. On a more positive note a memory clinic had opened in Deal and KCC’s

slice of council tax (which is 75% of the whole bill) is the same this coming year

as it was in 2010/11 at £1047 in Band D.

6. Correspondence: A letter sent to DDC planning department by Mrs Godderidge

raising concerns about the work and changes of use undertaken at Parsonage

Farm was read out (steam brewery, trench digging and structure in front of the

building line). An email responding to the Parish Council’s own communication

on this topic and the matter of the development at Sutton House was also tabled.

Graeme explained that this was a standard response saying DDC would look into

both matters.

7. Finance:

Clerks wages 236.96 (1x months wage)

Clerks expenses 26.00 (expenses and stamps)

ROSPA 327.60 (Annual inspection of play area and BMX track)

Southern Water 23.82 (Water bill for allotments)

Ron proposed and Hugh seconded and all Councillors approved a resolution

agreeing to the above payments being made and that the payment to ROSPA being

held until Simon had spoken to the Clerk.

8. Yearly Accounts 2013 – it was agreed that Sarah would meet with Ronnie on this

and this item would appear on next month’s agenda.

9. Allotments, Memorial Garden, Playing Field and BMX track:

Simon queried the quote for Colin Stokes attending various grass cutting sites. It

was explained that although this was a quote per cut there would not be cuts every

month and that the precept was calculated on the basis of a worst case scenario.

Simon will check with the Clerk as to the outcome of the tree cutting around the

Picnic area and whether the contractors were returning to provide a more

acceptable finish. It was reported by Simon that the Memorial Garden was looking

good. Ron indicated that the rabbits were becoming a problem in the Orchard and that

more trees needed protecting. He further indicated that in rent demands it would be

made clear that hosepipes/sprinklers were not permitted and that water use must be

carefully controlled. The water is currently switched off.

10. Any other matter/business to discuss: none.

11. Date of next meeting: Tuesday 5th March 2013 – meeting finished at 8.35pm.