SUTTON BY DOVER PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the meeting held in Studdal Church Hall on Tues 6th December 2012 at 7.30pm.
1. Present and apologies for absence:
Simon Butcher (Chairman)
Graeme Akhurst (Vice-chairman)
Kent County Councillor: Steve Manion
Dover District Councillor: Nick Kenton
Parish Clerk: Veronica Harrop
Apologies for absence: Caroline Clews
Members of the public:
2. Approval of the minutes of the last meeting: Graeme proposed, Sarah seconded and all
councillors approved of the minutes of the last meeting.
3. Declarations of interest: none
4. Matters arising: none
5. Visitors: Barbara & Ray Odell, Chris Richardson, Peter Bates, Elizabeth Densham,
and Richard Alldrige.
Barbara said that the conifer trees in the playing field had grown very high and needed
to be pollarded. In reply to this the council is to get quotes for the cutting of the trees.
Barbara also informed the council that Sutton Church Fete would be held on the 2nd
of June 2012 to coinside with the Queens Diamond Jubilee.
Richard explained that he was disappointed that the council did not acknowledge his
letter at the time the minutes were signed. It was noted that in future letters of interest would be added to the agenda.
Nick Kenton said there had been a consultation on waste recycling. There was now a
ban on vans at waste disposal sites and rubber tyres were also banned.
There have been some issues with the new house hold disposal bins but DDC are
addressing them. 175 tonnes of food waste was collected last month from households.
6. Vfast balacing payment: It was noted that because of the repayment to HMRC of
the VAT reclaimed on Vfast invoices that the council had effectively paid somewhat
over the £50,000 grant for Broadband received from KCC. It was proposed to ratify that extra payment of somewhat over £2000 as a contribution to broadband expansion in the village. The Clerk was asked to write to Vfast asking them when they would be installing the ’hotspot’ in the Church Hall. Both actions were propose by Graham and seconded by Sarah and all councillors voted in favour.
7. Donation to John Foche & Cushire Charity: Graham (as a trustee to John Foche &
Cushire Charity) explained to the council of the activities of the charity. Money raised
through an investment fund, which was founded by John Foche many years ago, is
spent on food hampers and distributed throughout the parish to parishioners. Graham
asked the council for a donation of £80 to make up the amount that was needed this
Christmas as there was a call for extra hampers. This was proposed by Ron, seconded by
Hugh and all councillors agreed to the donation.
8.Local Planning: DOV/11/00943 – ‘Bethzur’, Downs Rd, East Studdal.
Proposal: Erection of a single storey rear extension.
This was proposed by Ron, seconded by Simon and all councillors approved the
planning application for an extension.
9. Sutton House: The council received a letter from Clive Godderidge who is concerned
about the continuing building works at; Sutton House, Church Hill, Sutton.
There have numerous cars and vans parked on the hill have made it difficult for
vehicles to pass. Large building lorries have also caused problems. The council
Will continue to observe the activities occurring on that site.
10. Sutton pond: It had been noticed that Sutton pond had been flooding lately
Graeme is to raise this with the landowners.
Clerks wages 236.76 (1xmonths wages)
Clerks expenses 44.89 (wine & food for meeting, laminator & pouches)
KCC 17.50 (Rent for allotments)
Evergreen 160.00 (Cutting grass in PF & Memorial Gds. Ivy tree cut at JB)
Sarah proposed, seconded by Hugh and all councillors agreed to the signing of the
12. Precept: to be put on January’s Agenda.
13. Highways: Hugh said that the new salt boxes had not been delivered. Highways are
to be contacted again in respect of a new village name sign to be erected on Strakers
14. Tree Warden: to be put on Januarys Agenda.
15. Rubbish in fields: Graeme had spoken to Mr Ledger (owner of the field concerned) who said that the plastic bags & rubbish had come from Kent Salads when tipping waste
in the fields. He had already organised clearance of the hedge concerned as he did in all such instances.
16. Forming a committee for the Playing Field: to be put on Januarys Agenda.
17. Allotments, Memorial Garden, Playing Field and BMX track:
Ron asked for permission to put a new pear tree in the allotment at a cost of £25.
This was granted by the council. Ron also suggested that new flower containers were
put on the green (Roman Rd.) and at Jacks Bush to commemorate the Queens
Diamond Jubilee next year.
It was mentioned that the new memorial seat on the green ,at Roman Road, looked
Simon spoke on the fly tipping that is getting worse in the Playing Field. A Parish
Council notice is to be displayed in the PF warning fly tippers that they will be
prosecuted if caught tipping.
Simon did the Playing field check for November.
18. Any other business/matters to be discuss:
Hugh to write a list for voluntary work to be done.
19. Date of next meeting: 3rd January 2012 Meeting finished at 9.45pm